St. Matthew began in 1885 as an immigrant church, serving the German laborers who came to work in the Collins Factory in Collinsville, CT. In the early 1960’s, the congregation moved to Avon, serving the growing communities of the Farmington Valley. The sanctuary building was dedicated in September of 1963, and an education and fellowship wing was added in 1970. The intern program began in 1986, and over the years the congregation welcomed over 20 interns.
A Casavant Pipe Organ was added in 1987 to enrich the thriving music ministry of the congregation, and in 2003, the congregation called a second pastor to support the vital education ministries of St. Matthew. Among these ministries has been a thriving youth ministry, with annual mission trips from places as varied as inner city Chicago, rural Appalachia, and Romania. The congregation continues to grow in its witness in the community, hosting an annual 5K run, serving those in need in Hartford, and reaching out to families in the Farmington Valley.